455. A Franz Mayer & Co. Stained Glass Pictorial, Late 19th Century
31-1/2" x 41", 18" x 41"
Depicting Mary, Baby Jesus, Mary Magdeline and angels within a quatrefoil design, inscribed "Gift of Mr. & Mrs. P.C. O'Brien", inscribed lower right F. Mayer, Munich New York. Not framed, comprised of two sections. Franz Mayer & Co. is a famous German stained glass design and manufacturing company, based in Munich, Germany, that has been active throughout most of the world for over 150 years. The firm was very popular during the late nineteenth and early twentieth century and was the principal provider of stained glass to large Roman Catholic churches throughout the world. In 1888 a new branch in New York City was opened bringing international status and in 1892, Pope Leo XIII named the company a “Pontifical Institute of Christian Art“.
Condition: Expected wear from age and movement. Lead has been restored.